Monday, November 22, 2004

Customers .. Customers ...

Oh how I love the Holiday season already.

All I can tell you is that it was ABSOLUTE BEDLAM on Saturday at the old store. I could not believe just how jammed the parking lots at Masonville were and just how hard it was to actually get my Paratransit bus into where they drop me off. It was indeed THAT packed and to think, it's going to get that much more crazy as this month comes to a close and we get later into December (and closer to Christmas no less!)

I'm not one to say this either but for the first time ever at my work I felt mentally exhuasted. I couldn't believe that I was mentally drained by the end of the night. I know it's only 3hrs but to use this analogy, it was like water crashing onto rock but with more volume of water (I liken it to a ocean!). Mind you though it was nice to get a unexpected visit from my friend Corinna and her cousin so that provided a bit of a "pick me up". I will say though that it was awesome to see her even though it was just for a few moments.

Allow me too for one moment to sneak in a few pet peeves that I do have about the holiday period though. The one thing that I IMMEDIATELY AND TOTALLY hate is this:

1. I will assume that you have a college or university education before you come into my store (or at least have your GED or anything that allows you to figure out your alphabet). So how is it that you can miraculously figure out hwere something is but yet you can't be bothered to use your acquired knowledge to PUT IT BACK? How hard is that? really?

2. Don't treat me like I'm stupid when you're stressed over the holidays. We all have our days and we're all entitled to have one but please .. don't take your frustrations out on me all because you're wound up and you're at the end of your leash. After all, it's just a music store and that quite isn't the best place to go blow off steam. Try and find ways of releasing your frustrations (ie: basket weaving, crochet, bowling or walking) BUT having said that though, if you're going to explode at a music store (and especially at Masonville!) GO DO IT AT MUSIC WORLD! (they deserve it and they air that insipid "burning Yule log" video on their video screens .. what's the deal with that?!).

Please don't get me wrong, I love my job and I like people but please .. it'd make it easier on us all .. wouldn't it?

All I can hope for is that next week I won't be mentally drained by the end of my shift. Let's hope though too that we hit our targets and we all can reap the benefits of those big holiday "pay days"!

6 Comments:

Blogger Canadian Chick said...

When I think about people who work at music stores, please forgive me, I automatically think of 'Empire Records'. I like that movie. I do not go into music stores very often, I do not know why because we all enjoy music. I have been listening to 'The Counting Crows' and their cd: Recoving the Satelites. Lyrics mean different things to different people, this is why it is so appealing.

I agree with your pet peeves because people who don't put things back or who explode at strangers are ignorant. Although ignorance is bliss, it disgusting. They should be disgusted with themselves and learn 'responsibility'.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Spatchula said...

I am with you 100% Canadian!

People should just realize that how would they like it if I came into their work place and made them feel uncomfortable or took things out of their proper places and didn't put it back?

A case of "what goes around WILL come around"!

The last time I head the Counting Crows was the summer of 1994 at Camp Merrywood where I worked one summer as a camp counsellor in Perth. I will say that it was great to get back to my "stomping grounds" that year to work considering that I was raised in the Ottawa area (Cornwall to be exact) and I love going back that way whenever possible! :)

I was however almost certain that I could escape the CC's by being in Perth but nope .. I heard "Mr Jones & Me" at least 10x a day .. AAARRRRGGGHHH!!! .. but hey, that's where memories are made! :)

12:22 PM  
Blogger Canadian Chick said...

Hello again,

I've been meaning to check up on you more often. I hope you post again. It's been one of those days, and it will be a busy few weeks. My finals are starting in a couple of weeks so I better hit the books pretty hard soon. So many distractions! So many good distractions too ;)

Keep up the good work

9:40 PM  
Blogger Spatchula said...

Well hey you! :)

Thanks so much for stopping by yet again and it's great to see you enjoy what I write.

I try to post as often as I can when I think something will be of any interest. Hopefully I will think of something real soon and not let you down (in terms of being one of your welcomed distractions!)

Hopefully by the time you read this entry (or any subsequent entries afterwards!) your exams will have gone real well! :)

Drop in when you can and also ... just take it easy and don't burn yourself out!

12:09 AM  
Blogger Canadian Chick said...

I enjoy taking study breaks, which makes it hard to get back on track after. Unfortunately my exams haven't started yet. My first exam is in my Interviewing and Investigations class (my fav class) and that starts on the 8th of December.... I can't stand waiting but I'd rather get as much studying done as I can even though some of my tests are open-book tests.

I like your picture. You are handsome ;) I put some new pictures up on my blog. There are quite a few pictures in the archives too. Let me know if you like any of them. I'm still trying to improve my style of photography.

Anyway, I'll stop by another time :P Take Care!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Spatchula said...

Wow! Well, just take it easy that's all the advice I can dispense to you. Take it easy, don't burn yourself out. You know, I wish that the exams I had in college were all open book. I just think that it would have made things SO much easier on me. But then again though with those kinds of tests you will do only as well so as long as you took good notes all through the semester.

Thanks for the nice words on my picture. I could switch the bio pic up every so often I suppose. The only problem with posting them here is that they're a little too big and would take up a good chunk of the page. Yes I know, there's a thing called "resize" but I am just so bad at that kind of stuff! I'll see what I can do though ...

2:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home