Monday, February 19, 2007

What a ...

... day today (well at the time I wrote this it was Sunday morning .. late so I suppose I will say yesterday. Oh wait, I guess until I go to bed it will still be Saturday? Oh whatever) was for me.

I was up at 7:30am and was on a bus to Buffalo, New York with my sledge hockey team by 9am. All I could do was veg, eat an apple, drink a Diet Dr Pepper and eat a bag of Swedish Berries (which I bought specifically for this trip the night before at the theater when I went and saw Ghost Rider ... that's another entry) with my team mate Tony and just not think since I was still a few hours away from hitting my "stride" (you know how late risers are)

We stopped along the way in Burlington to pick up some folks from the Kitchener Sidewinders who were supplying a few players for our junior squad for a game against the junior Buffalo Sabres. Once we picked them up we were on our way to Buffalo!

We made the Canada/US border by 12pm, right on schedule but we had a problem w/someone's passport and that held us up for quite awhile. It seemed like US immigration saw something on her passport that they needed or didn't like so they took her off the bus to their office of sorts and made her wait while there were eight others who were in the same or near boat and coincidentally enough on a bus also. Long story short, our driver got and wanted to see what he could do to help move things along to ensure that we made it to Buffalo for our games and within 45 minutes she was out and were on back on the road. From what he told us he used teh story of that he had a bus full of special needs kids who play hockey and it's important that they be there on time. Apparently the supervisor heard that and moved the lady ahead. Some ahead of her weren't happy but we sure were! And who says being handicapped DOESN'T have it's priviledges or benefits? ;)

We made our way to the HSBC Arena, unloaded gear and equipment and headed to our locker room to gear up and take the ice. Of course I wasn't playing due to an injury but I still cheered my guys on and hoped that we'd come out on top. Unfortuneately it wasn't meant to be because the intermediate London Blizzard fell 4-1 to the intermediate Buffalo Sabres. A littled disheartening I am sure but I know my guys will rebound just fine for our game next weekend.

The junior London Blizzard lost to the junior Buffalo Sabres 3-2 but was a very entertaining game all around. I tell you, those Kitchener players that came would so look good in Blizzard colours I tell you. They complimented our guys so well.

After the games all players went out to dinner at a well known grill (the name escapes me) but we had the chane to part take in a Buffalo Sabres fan tradition which is to take advantage of this $14.00 (WTH?!) buffet that had pasta, salad, chicken wings (Buffalo style of course!), rolls and pizza. Of course it was all you can eat but still .. $14.00?! Anyways, it's a tradition I guess so I had the chance to talk with quite a few die hard Sabres fans in the line up. When I told them who I cheer for the answer was pretty much "Senators? I'm really sorry" or "Ottawa? my condolences".

Smart asses.

We made our way back to the HSBC to watch the Sabres and Boston Bruins game and to head up to (yes you will be reading this right) our suites to watch the game. I must saw it was pretty "SUITE" (yes, a bad pun I know) to have these seats. Not bad for what I paid too. What made it ultra cool is that you had a server who would take your orders for you so you don't miss anything. Honestly, how cool is that? I could tell you how the game went by giving you a play by play but I am sure you'd get bored with that so I will just give you the score:

Bruins: 4
Sabres: 3

What a beauty. The Sabres lose and the Sens beat Atlanta 5-3. Gotta love that sound the Sens are making now. Look out behind you, here come the Senators, Buffalo! (should make that game next Thursday pretty interesting). For highlights go here

The game ended and we all got back on the bus. It took awhile to get out of the arena area just because of all the gridlock of some thousands of people trying to leave. Eventually we got on the road and crossed the border and into Burlington again to drop off our Kitchener players and then back home for us.

It's now 3:23am and I have been up for 20 hours and I'm just beat. I've been home since 2:30am and yes, sleep is good. Why did I stay up to add this? I just thought I'd share the lengthy day today has been with you all.

Mmmmm .. bed.

GO SENS GO!

J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home