Wednesday, February 02, 2005

How true?

How true can this be? I just read this article and I often have wondered why after seeing a billboard, magazine clipping, ad campaign at the mall I work at or a TV ad with men who are muscle bound or are viewed as being "hot" by society's standards that I feel so insecure with myself? It's nice to see I am obviously not in the minority as this article suggests.

So my question is this:

Why is it that the concept of image these days is more important than the concept of self? Why is it that people will judge you by how you look more than by your personal merits, belief core or how YOU are as a person? Why does it seem like at times that if you don't look the part no one will take the time to get to know the real you?

All of what you see in print and various other mediums are meant for show and promotion but don't they realize the potential harm that's being to some people's self esteem and self worth all because they don't look like what they see and read? Has that not been given any thought at all? Simply because you may not look "hot" or fit into how you should look like in today's society make make you feel like a social outcast or feel unattractive? It shouldn't. Be proud of yourself and who you are. All because you look "hot" or are deemed as being "hot" by societal standards doesn't really mean much if you don't have the heart and personality and depth to go with it. In other words the inner qualities are what really makes a person.

I can speak for myself. I know I'm a good person, I have a good heart, I do have my flaws (I get cranky, irritable some days .. don't we all?) but shouldn't I be judged on the first two criteria? So what if I don't look the "part". What's the big deal? If you seem polite, treat people with courtesy and really show that you go against the preconceived image by doing what I had just mentioned shouldn't that help sway a decision and make someone think "hey, he/she seems pretty cool! I should get to know them even if .."? The only "deal" that will be lost is that someone would be missing out on getting to know a pretty alright person in the end (I should note however that this isn't necessarily meant to be a rant or self imposed pitty party, the total contrary actually). But this is a topic or something I have always wondered about and the link provided at the start made me think about this a little more. I should note (albeit a little late) however though I have met several people who could be deemed as "hot" but were total jerks in the end. Of course too I have met a few "hot" people as well and they were pretty cool people as well. While there may be people who are "hot" and have the criteria I listed above it to me doesn't mean much if you don't have those "little things". Looks will fade but personality, heart and a good attitude will not.

Some people and society need to wisen up in general and not look at the external so much.

2 Comments:

Blogger Artsy87 said...

This is very true my friend. It is just too bad that most of the male species out there does not understand these things. But "these things" are not limited to physical appearance. Basically, anything that causes a person to be different from the "norm" will get the attention of judgemental people. Canada has tried to teach that multiculturalism is something that we should embrace. Unfortunately there are still people out there that will discriminate. But truly, these thoughts come down to one main idea and that is just that people can't accept difference. Pardon me, not so much that they can't, but just that they haven't been taught or just refuse to see the benefits of understanding "difference". They choose to simply raise their own self esteem while denigrating others.
Here is my rant--the rant of my life!!!!:)

10:07 AM  
Blogger Artsy87 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home