Thursday, February 10, 2005

A step forward ...

AnsJ241's article made me think.

I'm really a sucker for nostalgia. I really enjoy thinking about or reminiscing about things that I really enjoyed doing or was a part of. The one thing that I can say I am 100% proud to have been affiliated with or say that I have been a part of artistically and musically plus will happily reminisce about ad nauseum (no, not nausea!)about is finally coming back and that I am looking forward to as well to see where it leads us to from here.

The thing that I am talking about is Uncle Beer .

Uncle Beer is a band that AnsJ241 I had some years ago as an attempt to try and share the same stage that our mutual friend (and who I met AnsJ through) Jeff had formed called the Messiest Toast Eaters. I can say unabashedly that we were influenced by their musical style, thematics and diversity and from that we decided to try our own brand of music inspired by the Toast Eaters. Along the way too Jeff would critique the cassettes of the work AnsJ and I did and would help us refine ideas or just do away with whole ones all together. It was an extremely valuable tool for us since Jeff was a graduate of the MIA (Music Industry Arts program from Fanshawe College)and had a pretty good ear for ideas and music so why not take advantage? Not to mention Jeff had his own home studio so AnsJ could record his ideas there since he was a roommate of Jeff's.

From the years 1995 to about early 1997 we played and recorded a vast amount of music (and stuff to this day I wonder how we came up with the ideas that we did). But the more music played and other styles we listened to as well, our scope surely widened as did our musical abilities and we were probably making some of the best music of our lives .. we were on a serious roll! Nobody could stop us .. no one ..

But then it went quiet …

A crazy thing called life happened. I was starting to learn life lessons that I should have learned years ago started to happen. I met a girl, fell in love and spent as much time with her as much as I could (even though it was a ULTRA severe long distance relationship). The music suffered but I needed to learn I suppose and as a result my guitar playing abilities that I had worked so hard on for years to attain suffered and as a result I didn’t play as much as I should or probably should have. I suppose too that the Internet exploded around '97 or so and I had to become more computer litterate as well and needed to adapt so I spent more time in front of my computer learning what I could. Of course too on a personal level still since that break up I did learn more lessons, had met another wonderful girl and loved her to death, the relationship ended and yet again learned more valuable lessons that I am still applying to my life, to this day and I suppose in the scheme of things everything is happening as it’s all supposed to. Of course too along the way I should note that through the years AnsJ241 and I hung out a lot and did things together that friends should do but the issue of making Uncle Beer music never came up … until now.

For the first time in years it appears as though Uncle Beer will be returning very soon and I am EXCITED about making music again with AnsJ241. If there was anything I could be not more proud of it’s when I listen to AnsJ play his keyboard and say “I have this idea”. There’s nothing more fun than making art and sharing that time with someone who is truly your best friend. There’s no better feeling than to watch AnsJ play and listen to what he’s playing and listen to what is coming out of my guitar amp. I am really looking forward to what’s ahead for us and what we will create now since we did what we did last. I don't regret the things I have learned or experienced, it's helped turn me into a better person I hope and in that last 8yrs that has passed we've grown and evolved as people (yeah right! who are we kidding?! .. about the evolved part anyways) and I’m sure it will be very unique and special plus every musical influence we have heard since will some how make it’s way into the music.

Like I said .. I can’t wait!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home